Bath Voice Cricket News: Hampset match reports including a crunch game against Bristol Pakistanis

Hampset 1st XI v Keynsham 2nd XI

Hampset played host to Keynsham 2s on a muggy day at the rise. After finally winning a toss skipper Sam Marquiss decided to bat first hoping to make the most of the wicket before it became too dusty.

Openers Oliver Smith and Conor McDonald began the innings and managed to build a solid partnership once more compiling 87 for the first wicket before McDonald fell for an attacking 55 from 39. Ethan Silcox joined Smith at the crease and began in glorious fashion with a lofted cover drive for 4. The partnership continued to grow and at 133 Smith (27) can count himself unlucky as he was run out at the non-striker’s end backing up from a Silcox straight drive. With this wicket Keynsham continued well with the spin of captain Stillwell and with a couple quick wickets, one of which being Silcox, for a well-made 32, Hampset looked in trouble. Skipper Marquiss was joined by Matt Hill and then Josh Self and Dan Roberts after as the three new batsmen departed soon after arriving bringing youngster Freddy Hiscott to the crease. Marquiss and Hiscott compiled a quick 50 run partnership with Hiscott 14 from 14 balls and Marquiss bringing up his 50 from the last delivery in style with a 6 over long on ending the innings on 229-7.

Hampset knew this was only a par score at the rise and quickly looked to set the tone in the field. Cue Roberts’ first over going for many a wide plus the odd no ball, Silcox got the wickets column moving trapping the opener LBW. With that Hampset had an opening and with Roberts finding his areas and some good glove work from Josh Smith Keynsham quickly found themselves 4 down for 69 Roberts ending with 3-43 from his allocated overs. James Dorey making a first team return took a sharp caught and bowled chance to reduce the score to 79-5 and Hampset looked clear favourites from here. However much like the batting Hampset took their foot off the gas and let Keynsham back in to the game with some poor bowling and some good batting. At 200-6 with plenty of overs left Keynsham were now clear favourites, with that Marquiss brought himself into the attack along with the returning Silcox. Marquiss’ second over yielded three wickets for just the one run leaving Keynsham 210-9 and Silcox had the number 11 caught behind just one run later for an 18-run win with the full 20 points awarded.

Dyrham & Hinton 1st XI v Hampset 2nd XI

Saturday saw Hampset 2nd’s travel to unbeaten, top of the table Dyrham & Hinton hoping a young side would provide the spark needed to take some points home.

Stand in skipper Harty lost the toss and we were asked to field first. Ewan Peddar, on Hampset debut, and Willis Skardon shared the new ball, both creating several early chances to get the prized Dyrham opener out cheaply, but unfortunately, we could not cling onto the tough catches. Ewan did grab his maiden wicket in his first spell, well caught behind by Tom Crouch.

The Dyrham batsman continued to put the bad balls away, approaching 150 runs before James Boyle made the breakthrough, and then Benji Gleave bagged the opener short of a century in a first over wicket maiden, well caught by the skipper, having initially misjudged the flight quite considerably. Benji then grabbed a second soon after, finishing with excellent figures of 2-17 off his 4 overs.

Wickets fell at regular intervals, including the slowest direct hit most there had ever witnessed, as Hampset looked to secure as many bowling points as possible. A strong bowling fightback saw Dyrham finish on 289-8, Harry Hall grabbing a deserved wicket in the final over.

In reply, some consistent, accurate Dyrham bowling combined with some uneven bounce saw Hampset quickly reduced to 67-8. Adam Hodgson (45) and a commendable 10th wicket partnership from Ewan and Benji threatened to grab a batting point, but the innings unfortunately concluded at 94 all out.

All in all, an admiral bowling display to take into next week’s game against Taveners at the Rise.

Hampset 3rd XI: no match, as they could not raise a full team.

Sunday XI v Bristol Pakistanis 11/6/23

Despite the drizzly start to the day, the weeks of sun allowed the ground to suck up the much need moisture, quickly enough for the game to start as scheduled at 1:30. Hampset won the toss and elected to bat, looking to put runs on the board with a strong batting line up.

Openers Josh Smith (30) and Tom Shattock got Hampset off to a comfortable start, helped by the extras tally as the opening bowlers struggled to control the wet ball. Hampset reached 81 before losing their first wicket in the 9th over. The fall of this wicket brought Adam Hodgson to the crease. Adam proceeded to smash the Pakistanis bowlers around Bloomfield Rise – despite only having one functional elbow, blitzing his way to a fifty, before eventually being caught for 75 (39) balls. Hampset were in a strong position of 179-4 at drinks, however a few quick wickets straight after the break bought captain Tom Marquiss (43) to the crease. With plenty of time left in the game, the aim was to bat the 40 overs and accumulate as big a total as possible. Despite this, wickets continued to fall, albeit at a slower rate, and Hampset eventually succumbed in the 35th over. Marquiss the last man to go, caught well at short extra cover, just 7 shy of a maiden 50.

Hampset took to the field, knowing the strength of the opposition’s batting line up would mean it was essential to bowl and field well, despite having 268 on the board. As expected, the opposition came out swinging, rocketing to 54 off 5 overs, when Willis Skardon made the breakthrough, caught at extra cover by Tom Marquiss. A few catches then went down in the field, which unfortunately allowed Bristol Pakistanis to continue at their rapid pace reaching 191-2 by the 20th over. Hampset continued to go about their work, looking to pick up more wickets, for bonus points, if not to change the momentum of the game. Sam Marquiss (2-48) managed to pick up a couple of scalps, and though Benji Gleave managed to take a fourth wicket, and secure Hampset’s second bowling point when the scores were tied, Bristol Pakistanis reached their target in the 28th over.