By Harry Mottram: below are the fixtures and results plus information of the various sports teams and clubs – I try to keep them up to date but do send in your results and news to email@example.com
Bath Croquet Club win at the Rec and the football clubs have been publishing their friendly fixtures ahead of the new season.
Sports listed in Alphabetical Order
American Football: Bath Killer Bees: The Bath Killer Bees are current members of the British Universities American Football League (BUAFL)’s South Western Atlantic Conference (SWAC). They are recruiting for the 2023/24 season to begin our assault on BUCS South West Division 1. Season restarts in the autumn. See their website for details. https://www.thesubath.com/americanfootball/
Athletics: Team bath Athletics Club is based at the University of Bath Sports Training Village and is open to all abilities and ages from 7 upwards. Sports include track and field, road and trail running, endurance and cross country. Club nights are Tuesdays and Thursdays 6pm -8pm.To join and for details visit https://teambathac.org/
Badminton: Bath Badminton Club. Sports Centre, North Parade Road, Bath. The club meet on Thursday evenings all year round except certain holiday periods and August. www.bathbadminton.co.uk
Badminton: Oldfield Park Badminton Club, Hayesfield Sports Hall Upper Oldfield Lane. www.badmintoninbath.co.uk/
Badminton: Bath Women’s Badminton Club. Sports Centre, North Parade Road, Bath. www.bathwomensbadmintonclub.net/
Boules: City of Bath Pétanque Club. The club plays Pétanque and is open to all, with juniors and non-players welcome. If you haven’t played before, give it a go. The club is based at Larkhall Sports Club but they also play in Queen Square Wednesday mornings, weather permitting.
Cricket: Bath Cricket Club: The club is based at North Parade and was founded in 1859 and has a long and interesting history charted on their website at https://www.bathcricket.com/
There are four main teams with the first team’s fixtures listed below – with two elevens of the Bath Wanderers Women sides and an U19’s XI as well. Plus, there are teams for girls from U10s to U15s, and youth cricket for the same ages – to join or for more info visit the website.
The men’s first team play in the West of England Premier Cricket League (WEPL), the ECB National Club Championship, the ECB T20 competition and the Somerset Cup.
Fixture list and results for the First XI:
• Sat 10 Jun (WEPL) Home fixture V Bristol. Won by 145 runs.
• Tue 13 Jun. Somerset Cup. V Midsomer Norton. Won by 24 runs.
• Sat 17 Jun (WEPL) Away. Lansdown. Won by 87 runs.
• Sun 18 Jun. ECB. Away. Penzance. ECB. Lost by 5 wkts.
• Sat 24 Jun. Bedminster. Home. WEPL.
• Sat 1 Jul. Home. WEPL V Bristol.
• Sat 8 Jul. Away. WEPL V Frocester
• Sat 15 Jul. Home. WEPL V Taunton St Andrews
• Sat 22 Jul. Home. WEPL V Bridgwater
• Sat 29 Jul. Away. WEPL V Chippenham
• Sat 5 Aug. Home. WEPL V Potterne
• Sat 12 Aug. Away. WEPL V Bristol
Cricket: Bath Wanderers Women Cricket Club
The team will take part in the West of England Premier Cricket League (WEPL) this season with games:
• Sun 28 May Away V Dumbleton. 1.30pm. Won by 10wkts
• Sun 11 June Home V Royal Wootton Bassett. Won by 191 runs.
• Sun 2 Jul Home. WEPL V Taunton
• Sun 16 Jul Home. WEPL V Devizes
• Sun 23 Jul. Away. WEPL V Bridgwater
• Sun 30 Jul. Away. WEPL V Golden Hill
• Sun 13 Aug. Away. WEPL V Frenchay
Cricket: Bear Flat Cricket Club
Established in 1982, the Bears are in Division 1 of the Wiltshire County Cricket League (WCCL) on Saturdays, with a home ground at The Glasshouse Academy, Bradford Road, Combe Down, Bath; there’s also games in Division 7 Blue of the Somerset Monmouth League on Saturdays, home ground the Ken Willcox Ground, Peasedown St John, Bath; and friendlies against clubs based in Somerset/Wiltshire on Sundays; and T20 games against clubs based in Somerset/Wiltshire midweek; plus they participation in the Somerset Knock Out cup.
For more details of the various teams plus the youth and children teams visit https://bearflatcc.org.uk/
First XI fixtures and results:
• Sat Jun 3. Home. V Swindon. Won by 118 runs.
• Sat Jun 10. Away. V Malmesbury. Won by 7 wkts.
• Sat Jun 17. Home. V Marlborough. Lost by 2wkts.
• Sat Jun 24. Home. V Calne.
• Sat Jul 1. Away. V Chippenham.
• Sat Jul. Away. V Trowbridge.
• Sat 15 Jul. Home. V Swindon.
• Sat 22 Jul. Away. V Purton.
• Sat 12 Aug. Home. V Malmsbury.
Cricket: Hampset Cricket Club: based at Bloomfield Rise, Odd Down, Bath, the club was founded in 1940 and features a large number of elevens including the Scholars, development XI, midweek Saturday and Sunday elevens, junior teams from under 9s to u13s and indoor squads. The 1st XI play in the Bristol & District Cricket Association – First Division 2023. Details at https://hampsetcc.play-cricket.com/home
First XI fixtures and recent results:
• Sat 10 Jun. Home. V Keynsham. Won by 18 runs.
• Sat 17 Jun. Away. V Cleeve. Lost by 17 wkts.
• Sat 24 Jun. Away. V Winterbourne.
• Sat 1 Jul. Away. V Whitchurch.
• Sat 8 Jul. Away. V Lodway.
• Sat 15 Jul. Home. V Downend.
Cricket: Somerset County Cricket Club
The club are based at the county ground in Taunton although in the past have played some matches at Bath and Weston-super-Mare. They are in the top flight of the cricket structure and have two first class elevens plus a women’s team and female players can be selected for the regional team Western Storm. For details visit https://somersetcountycc.co.uk/
News: the club are enjoying a good season with an unbeaten run of results.
Men 1st XI
• Thu 18 May (CCDO) Away V Middlesex. Somerset win by an innings and 11 runs.
• Wed 24 May Vitality Blast (VB) Home fixture V Hampshire Hawks. Won by 8 wkts
• Fri 26 May (VB) Away fixture V Sussex Sharks. Won by 5 wkts
• Sun 28 May (VB) Home fixture V Glamorgan. Won by 4 wkts
• Tue 30 May (VB) Away fixtures V Kent Spitfires. Won by 13 runs
• Fri 2 Jun (VB) Home fixture V Middlesex. Won by 9wkts.
• Sun 4 Jun (VB) Home fixture V Essex Eagles. Won by 11 runs.
• Wed 7 Jun (VB) Away fixture V Hampshire Hawks. Won by 5 runs
• Fri 9 Jun (VB) Away fixture V Gloucestershire. Won by 80 runs.
• Sun 11 Jun (LVICC) Away V Essex. Lost by 196 runs.
• Fri 16 Jun (VB) Home V Surrey. Lost by 28 runs.
• Mon 19 Jun (VB) Away V Essex. Won by 7wkts.
• Wed 21 June (VB) Away V Glamorgan. Won by 8 wkts.
• Sun 25 Jun (LVICC) Home V Nottinghamshire
• Fri 30 June (VB) Away V Surrey
• Sun 2 July (VB) Home V Kent
• Mon 10 Jul (LVICC) Home V Hampshire
• Wed 19 Jul (LVICC) Away V Northamptonshire
• Tue 25 Jul (LVICC) Home V Surrey
• Sun 30 Jul (Minor CC) Away V Devon
• Tue 1 Aug. (Minor CC) Away. V Cornwall
• Fri 4 Aug. (One day Cup) Home V Warwickshire
• Sun 6 Aug. (One day Cup) Home. V Worcestershire
• Wed 9 Aug. (One day Cup) Away. V Northamptonshire
• Fri 11 Aug. (One day Cup) Home V Susssex.
Croquet: Bath Croquet Club
To join or for more info contact Hester Henebury on email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit https://www.bathcroquet.com/
Wed 21 Jun. Short Croquet (Open) Team Win at Home to Worcester Norton.
Cycling: Bath Cycling Club welcomes new members of all ages and abilities – visit https://www.bathcc.net/
Cycling: Bike Bath
The annual cycling event has been put off this year until 2024.
Equestrian: Bath Racecourse
Sat 17 Jun. Ladies Day.
Wed 28 Jun. Summer Evening Meeting
Wed 5 Jul. Summer Evening Meeting
Wed 12 Jul. Summer Evening Meeting
Wed 19 Jul. Afternoon Meeting
Equestrian: Eventing. Gatcombe Park
British Eventing Meeting runs from 4-6 August 2023.
Football: Bath City FC. Bath play in the National League South, the sixth tier of the football pyramid. The home ground is Twerton Park and the manager is Jerry Gill. Known as the Romans and play in black and white vertical stripes.
• Tue 4 Jul. Friendly. Away V Shaftesbury. KO 7.45pm
• Sat 8 Jul. Friendly. Away V Frome Town. KO 3pm
• Tue 11 Jul. Friendly. Home V Bristol City U23s. KO 7.45pm
• Sat 15 Jul. Friendly. Home V Exeter City. KO 3pm
• Tue 18 Jul. Friendly. Away V Tiverton. KO 7.45pm
• Sat 29 Jul. Friendly. Away V Yate Town. KO 3pm
Football: Odd Down FC. They are currently members of the Western League Division One and play at the Lew Hill Memorial Ground.
• Fri 14 Jul. Friendly. Away V Calne Town. KO 7.30pm.
• Tue 18 Jul. Friendly. Home V Trowbridge Town. KO 7.30pm.
• Tue 25 Jul. Friendly. Home V Melksham Town. KO 7.30pm.
Hockey: City of Bath Hockey Club
City of Bath were formed from a merger between Bath & Phillipians Hockey Club’s and they play at Lansdown. Fixtures restart in the autumn.
Hockey: Team Bath Buccaneers Hockey Club
Team Bath Buccaneers is one of the largest and most successful Hockey Clubs in the West of England with over 800 members. Open to new members. Based at University of Bath. Fixtures restart in the autumn.
Hockey: Team Bath Hockey Club
The University of Bath Hockey Club has six men’s and six ladies’ teams who play in the British University & Colleges (BUCS) leagues on Wednesdays. Based at University of Bath. Fixtures restart in the autumn.
Modern Pentathlon: The UIPM Modern Pentathlon Championships take place at the University of Bath, Pentathlon GB’s National Training Centre, from 19th to 28th August. They are the first to be staged in Britain since 2009 and will be contested in the new, action-packed 90-minute format. Spectators will watch the fencing, horse-riding and laser run live from their seats in an outdoor arena at the Team Bath Sports Training Village, while the swimming section – taking place in the University’s Olympic-sized pool – will be broadcast via a large video screen in the stadium. Tickets and info at www.wch23.org
Netball: Team Bath Netball.
• HOME Fixture: Friday, 12th May, 2023. 3pm
Team Bath 63 V Manchester Thunder 67
• AWAY Fixture: Saturday 20 May, 2023, 3pm
Leeds Rhinos 59 V Team Bath 55
• AWAY Fixture: Monday 22 May 2023, 5.30pm
Saracens Mavericks 54 V Team Bath 57
• AWAY Fixture: Friday 2 June 2023, 7.30pm
Loughborough Lightening 47 V Team Bath 41
Rugby: Bath Rugby Union Club Men
The Blue, Black and White finished eighth in the Gallagher Premiership, securing their place in the Champions Cup in their last game of the season against Saracens. The club has had confirmation of the teams it is set to face in the Champions Cup pool stages in 2023/24. Taking place at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium, the home of next year’s final, Sarra Elgan and Vincent Pochulu announced Bath Rugby’s fate for their European campaign. Being drawn in Pool 2, Bath Rugby will take on two French teams in the form of Top14 Champions, Stade Toulousain, along with Racing 92 and the URC’s Cardiff Rugby and Ulster Rugby. Bath Rugby have also drawn Harlequins, however under the Champions Cup’s new format, teams within the same league drawn into the same pool will not play each other.
Within the new format, the Champions Cup sees four pools of six teams, totalling 24 teams. The teams are split into two tiers; the four winning teams from the 2022/23 leagues (Munster, La Rochelle, Stade Toulousain and Saracens) make up Tier 1, with the remaining 20 qualifying teams placed into Tier 2. In a club first, the Blue, Black and White will take on Racing 92 who finished fifth in the Top14, giving new signing Finn Russell the chance to front up against his former French side.
Recent Top14 winners, Stade Toulousain, may also get the chance to visit The Rec, giving Bath a shot at redemption after a narrow 20-22 defeat the last time the French champions were in town in 2018.
Cardiff Rugby, who picked up the Welsh Shield for 2022/23, were handed a 38-3 hammering in 2016 and will look for retaliation come the pool stages.
Northern Ireland-based outfit Ulster Rugby, who were knocked out in this year’s URC 2022/23 quarter finals, complete Bath Rugby’s Pool fixtures for 2023/24.
Round 1 – 8/9/10 December 2023
Round 2 – 15/16/17 December 2023
Round 3 – 12/13/14 January 2024
Round 4 – 19/20/21 January 2024
Round of 16 – 5/6/7 April 2024
Quarter-finals – 12/13/14 April 2024
Semi-finals – 3/4/5 May 2024
Final – Saturday 25 May 2024, Tottenham Hotspur Stadium
Rugby: Bath Rugby Union Club Women
Bath Rugby take part in the Bournemouth Super Sevens Series.
Rugby: Bath Saracens RFC
Bath Saracens are an amateur rugby club competing in the Dorset & Wilts 3 Central. Formed on 13th March 1947, Bath Saracens are still going strong 75 years on. All welcome to train at Lambridge Training Ground in Bath every Thursday night between 19.30 and 21.00.
Rugby: Comb Down RFC
in 1896 the club currently play home fixtures at Holly’s Corner, Bramble Way. Details at https://combedownrfc.rfu.club/
Based at Bath Leisure Centre and established in 1899, Bath Dolphin Swimming Club (BDSC) is one of the oldest swimming clubs in the South West Region. They provide competitive swimming opportunities for young swimmers through to a masters swimming group.
As a holder of the Swim England quality accreditation, Swim Mark, they offer a year round competitive swim team with high quality coaching and technique instruction for all ages and abilities.
Tennis: Bloomfield Tennis Club was founded in 1927 and is located at 98 Wellsway, Bath. The club welcomes new members. To join visit https://clubspark.lta.org.uk/BloomfieldTennisClub
Tennis: Bath Tennis Club is at Park Lane, Weston, and bills itself at a friendly club. The club has a number of membership categories ranging from pay as you go to full membership. For details visit www.bathtc.co.uk